[Edit on October 20, 2021: Registration is now open, and please register as soon as possible here. More information on the Band Day schedule and plans can be found here.]
We don’t have it all figured out yet because this is hot off the press, but we wanted you to know the situation too. Please read carefully.
LHAB will not be on the field for Band Day this year, but we will be in the stands performing more music than we ever have before. As you may or may not know, Longhorn Band has been under Covid protocols, which is why they couldn’t perform at the TCU game. Out of an abundance of caution, we will not be able to use their rehearsal space, locker rooms, or be on the sidelines or field with them. Because of the large number of LHAB members, we also cannot enter the music building. Indeed, this is not what we all expected for this year’s alumni band weekend. However, keep in mind that the University and LHB are still recovering from an entire year without performances.
Included with this update is a letter from Dr. Cliff Croomes that explains the challenges and circumstances for Band Day this year. Please refer to it below.
Here’s the good news, UT has allotted 1,100 seats in the upper deck near the north end zone for LHAB and its guests. We will gather two hours before game time to visit and rehearse. We will then enjoy the game and play our music together. UT Athletics wants us to be there!
- If you paid your 2021-2022 dues, Band Day registration is FREE.
- We’ll do vest and instrument pickup on the lawn outside the music building, starting four hours before game time.
- Our LHAB vest will be our “ticket” into the stadium. UT Athletics will be opening one gate for us to enter with our guests.
- As in previous years, guest tickets will be $25, and instrument rental will be $15. As usual, there will be no big flag or silk poles in the stands, but we hope you Big Flag and Silk members will come to socialize with your friends and cheer on our team!
- LHAB will not be providing any drinks or food, but individuals can purchase those at the stadium.
- We’re still working on parking, shuttles for folks who need them, and other logistics.
- We will conduct our annual business meeting on Friday at 7:00 pm on or near campus, or host a Zoom webinar like we did last year.
We know it’s not the same as marching on the field at halftime, but we believe being able to gather in person in the stadium, play our tunes, and watch the football game together is better than a Virtual Band Day. We hope you will join us. Stay tuned for more details!