Band Day 2013 was one of the largest attended reunions! Even though it was hot and many of you longed to play March Grandioso during halftime, we proudly overcame all the trials and tribulations of the weekend. The bright side was, we won our first game! We are looking forward to finishing out the remainder of the football season strong. In case you missed the 50th Reunion, here’s the scoop!
- We awarded over $52,250 in scholarships to 47 deserving Longhorn Band students.
- The former Lord Mayor of the City of Weistminster, Duncan Sandys, issued LHAB a formal invitation for London’s New Year’s Day Parade in 2015 that was graciously accepted.
- LHAB has been widely featured in the Austin media market regarding the 50th Reunion and the London invitation on: KVUE, Longhorn Network, KEYE, The Alcalde, and KVR (Texas Students Televsion).
- A modernized LHAB logo was voted on and accepted by majority.
- The business meeting was held at Scholz’s with food & beverages.
The plans for London are well under way. Your officers have been diligently working behind the scenes in preparation for our first international parade. We hope that many of you will be able to participate in this unique event. Please refer to the website for a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) list and detailed information. Everything on-line is current and you’re encouraged to read it thoroughly. Check back often for updates and the late October informational live blog meeting time.
Your concerns were voiced through Survey Monkey and we listened. Check out the Band Day 2013 FAQs later on in the Blast to see our answers.
LHAB intends to hold more mini social events this year. We are looking forward to interacting with our membership more by building a stronger rapport, creating networking relationships, and making our newest alum feel welcome. Coming soon in November-storage and inventory clean out day. December- Caroling at the UT Tower (weather permitting). The exact dates will be posted soon.
My deepest appreciation is extended to all the officers, directors of LHB, Board of Directors, and Board of Trustees whom helped make the weekend possible. Without your dedication and countless volunteer hours, Band Day 2013 just wouldn’t be the same. I’m excited about the upcoming year and want to hear from you. If you need anything or have questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Nefertiti Williams, LHAB President 2014